2.2.Who's the JAVA deverloper?
Java was originally developed by James Gosling at Sun Microsystems (which has since been acquired by Oracle Corporation) and released in 1995 as a core component of Sun Microsystems’ Java platform. The language derives much of its syntax from C and C++, but it has fewer low-level facilities than either of them.
History Of Java:
- James Gosling, Mike Sheridan, and Patrick Naughton initiated the Java language project in June 1991. The small team of sun engineers called Green Team.
- Originally designed for small, embedded systems in electronic appliances like set-top boxes.
- Firstly, it was called “Greentalk” by James Gosling and file extension was .gt
- After that, it was called Oak and was developed as a part of the Green project.
- Why Oak? Oak is a symbol of strength and choosen as a national tree of many countries like U.S.A., France, Germany, Romania etc.
- In 1995, Oak was renamed as “Java” because it was already a trademark by Oak Technologies.
- Why they choosed java name for java language? The team gathered to choose a new name. The suggested words were “dynamic”, “revolutionary”, “Silk”, “jolt”, “DNA” etc. They wanted something that reflected the essence of the technology: revolutionary, dynamic, lively, cool, unique, and easy to spell and fun to say.
According to James Gosling “Java was one of the top choices along with Silk“. Since java was so unique, most of the team members preferred java.
- Java is an island of Indonesia where first coffee was produced (called java coffee).
- In 1995, Time magazine called Java one of the Ten Best Products of 1995.
- JDK 1.0 released in(January 23, 1996).